Monday 14 October 2013

We're home!

We are officially settled in to our new city! Well—city is a bit generous. It's a small town in the foothills isolated from civilization (the nearest Target is 50 miles away! How will I ever survive?)

But it's great to be close to family and I welcome the change of lifestyle. And it's quite beautiful here... how can you be sad when you get to wake up to this every day?



I took another quick instagram video the evening we arrived at my parents house. It was a happy day.



If you can recall when I first shared our plans to move, I mentioned we'd be temporarily moving in to my grandparent's old house down the street from my parents (which is now in their name since my grandpa passed earlier this year). I figured we'd be in there for probably half a year—we were going to wait for our 2013 tax returns to get a new mortgage.

Well, our lender ran the numbers again and determined we're prequalified now! Yay—let the house hunting begin!

Fortunately, my mom is our realtor so we've already seen several houses. We found some very interesting properties... I took a bunch of photos so I'll be sharing our house hunting adventures in my next post.

For now, let's focus on our current living situation.

This poor house is a time capsule of all the worst parts of the 80's. We're talking stained pink carpet, warped laminate floors, overly textured walls, peeling floral mauve wallpaper, pink vertical blinds and ruffly curtains, and other eyesores I can't even identify.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves...

Here's the entryway:



From the front door looking to your right is the dining area:


And the kitchen just behind that. Notice the attempt at removing the wallpaper.




Back at the front door, looking to your left is the hallway:


On the other side of that half wall is the living room:



Down the hallway, first door to your left is a bedroom:



And then a bathroom:


And another bedroom:



Then we have the master bedroom on the right:




On the other end of the room is a bathroom nook, with a master closet on the left and a shower/toilet area on the right:


This room might be the crown jewel of the house:


There's also a small laundry room and 1/4 bath off the dining area:



And here's the back porch (which I highly doubt we will use during our stay here):



Sadly, there will be no happy ending "after photos" for this house because we're not staying long enough to make any updates, and my parents won't bother bringing it in to the 21st century since it's a rental.

I can show you how our furniture looks in it though. We're not quite done unpacking yet, but we decided to just unload the basics and keep everything else in boxes so we don't have to repack it all in a couple months.


Oh yeah... and here's a sad story: my printer couldn't turn the corner into any bedrooms from the hallway so I have to keep it in the dining room and run back and forth all day. Awesome.





Brad is using the first bedroom as his office/man cave:


Bathroom still looks the same:


We're using the second bedroom as our master. Our bed barely fits in here with the dresser... at least it kind of matches the ruffle curtains?


The original master bedroom is being used as my studio:


It's plenty roomy but the layout is different and not as efficient. I'm going to need to add another desk for more work space ASAP.


Luckily, there's tons of closet and storage space, so we have lots of room for our clothes and I also have two storage closets for my office supplies:


Kitty update: Susie is doing amazing. She handled the 13 hour travel day like a champ... barely meowing at all and no potty incidents. And she did it without any drugs! I'm such a proud mama. 

She's also adjusting so well to life here. Instead of being in panic mode and hiding under the bed all day (which she used to do when we had company over at our old house) she's been exploring and relaxing in her new surroundings. I guess she's a California girl.

There's a lot more to share but I'll end it here for now. I'm so excited to be house hunting again and can't wait to show you some of the houses we've seen. I'll be back soon with all the details!




No comments:

Post a Comment