Thursday 3 January 2013

Hungarian Beef and Cabbage


The last time my (Hungarian) grandparents came to visit, my sweet Grandma made this delicious dish, which I've since adopted in my own kitchen.  It's flavorful, pretty healthy, cheap, fast, easy, and yummy. Did you know that a whole head of cabbage costs like .90 cents? And it's super rich in nutrients like Vitamin C and K? Well, now you do.

I made this dish up last night, and Matthew gave it a perfect 10. I also rate my meals based on how many contented grunts and groans they achieve from him (what can I say... he's a very vocal eater), and this one definitely gets a high score. This is another one of those dishes that doesn't look all too pretty in pictures, but it sure tastes pretty in your mouth.


Hungarian Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients: 

Half a head of cabbage, shredded
1 lb ground beef
Half a package of sausage - I use Jenni-O smoked turkey sausage. The sausage is optional (I've made it without too), but I think it's much better and more filling with it, and makes it stretch a little farther.
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 TBS of paprika
8 oz can of tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
Sour cream (I use light)

Directions:

Brown beef, sausage, and garlic in a large pot, and drain meat. Add in paprika, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Add shredded cabbage to pot, and cover with a lid, allowing to fully wilt (stir occasionally, about ten minutes).  Add in can of tomato sauce, mix well, and serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream (the sour cream really adds to the flavor, so don't skip it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment