Friday 4 January 2013

Happy List

print from Happy Penguin Press, antique frame


This New Year's Eve was the first one since we've been married that Matthew and I stayed up to watch the ball drop and to kiss at midnight... can you believe that?  I know.  We are so uncool. 

We watched the New Year's countdown from bed, all tucked into cozy flannel sheets, and when, in the blink of an eye, 2012 was behind us, 2013 had begun, and we leaned in for that kiss... tears. Lots of tears. (mine, not Matthew's.)  

I cried because I thought of all we were leaving behind and all that was coming ahead. I cried because my mom was entering a new year without Edd in it. I cried because I was so thankful that my marriage is intact and we made it through one bloody hell of a year, personally and professionally. And I cried because it feels like we're on the edge of so many things, though not quite there yet. 

Oddly enough, my tears lately feel more happy than sad. Matthew and I have made a resolution to be more positive--to build each other up, to build others up, and  to stop sending out daggers into the Universe, because you're bound to get them back. Honestly, you should hear us sometimes. We aren't always the nicest people, and we've been holding ourselves accountable on that lately. No more criticizing the jogger that "runs weird." No more spewing out the ugliest expletives we can think of when another driver makes a mistake. No more being negative as a general rule. When did that start to happen to us? And we're only a few days into this new mindset, of course, but focusing on what makes you happy and grateful is THE way to bring more blessings pouring in.  I've already seen it happening, if only in my own heart (I am full of the cheese today, I know).  

So today... today! Here is my happy list. My way of saying "thank you, God/Universe/family/friends/strangers, for the blessings in our life, big and small. Megan, for gifting us the coziest flannel sheets of all time (which Matthew and I both agree were the best gift EVER). Mom, for the french press, that makes coffee just. taste. better, and brightens my afternoons. YOU, for reading this silly blog. :)

“Dear old world', she murmured, 'you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you.” 
                                                           ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables









And now, for today's featured sponsors! Please take a moment and spread the love to these lovelies... they won't disappoint!


* * * * *

You may remember gorgeous Allie of Between Dreams from her old blog (called This and That), but I urge you to go get acquainted with Allie's new and improved space. This lovely Toronto lady has carved out a beautiful and inspirational niche for herself, which actually goes right along with my theme of gratefulness today. Between Dreams is all about the work it takes to achieve your goals, and Allie's aim is to keep you fueled up along the way. Get to know her a little better here, and also... how fabulous and moody are Allie and her fiancĂ©'s engagement pictures?!


* * * * *

Daliene's Alamo Adventures is a life and style blog by a pretty girl named Daliene, who also happens to live right in my backyard (not literally in my backyard, people!)--in San Antonio, TX! (AKA The Alamo City).  Daliene is a GT elementary teacher and lover of sarcasm (learn a little more right here), and she is also participating in the 30 in 30 challenge this month... something I've been wanting to do, too! Go on over and tell Daliene hello. :)


* * * * *

Last but not least, we have the ever so lovely Danielle from Taking Notes, Coast to Coast. If you'd like a nice little overview of her last year to get you all caught up, head on over here (oh, Danielle, you married a wood chopping, zombie obsessed stud muffin, too?), or go here to learn still more about this sweet West Virginian turned Washingtonian technical writer/girl next door. :) And last but not least, if you want to squeeze in some cute this morning, check. out. Huckleberry. I have literally watched this pup grow up, and it has been THE sweetest thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment