Friday 9 November 2012

DIY Ikea Minimalist TV unit - the plan

I previously mentioned my plan of having a minimalist TV unit made using IKEA components.

The requirements were:

  • fit within the 2.7m space
  • contain a couple of shelves to store the tv & gaming equipment (until the entertainment room is sorted out)
  • glass door for the shelves
  • solid high gloss doors for the drawers

The thing is, I have still not inspected the quality of the components I plan on buying, or whether the colour of white high gloss doors matches the colour of white glass doors... and I still need to find out if they have the components to make 40cm deep shelves or if I will need to source them from our cabinetmaker .... But here is the plan...

The cost of these components adds up to around $360 for a 2.4m unit. It excludes the cost of hinges, drawer system, benchtop etc.

I plan on using 3 x 70cm x 40cm compartments/doors, which will make the total length of the TV unit 2.1m long... leaving us with 60cm, or 30cm on each side of the unit. Once we've added the apron on top and possibly the sides as well, it shouldn't look too bad. What do you think?

I wanted to go with 4 x 60cm x 35cm compartments which would have been a better fit at 2.4m but they didn't come with matching glass doors :(

Also, some of you may have noticed that I've changed the commenting system on my blog. This was to include the CommentLuv feature which allows you to have a link to their latest post displayed at the bottom of your comment. However, if it causes too much trouble to you guys I will roll back to the old system. So do let me know :)

B

No comments:

Post a Comment