Monday 19 November 2012

Things the drugs made Matthew say, etc


Happy Monday and Thanksgiving week, everyone! It doesn't really feel very festive for us over here yet, but more than ever, I feel like I have so much to be thankful for. As I mentioned yesterday, Matthew went to the ER for an emergency appendectomy last Thursday, and as such emergencies often do, it brought everything flying back into perspective. As I spent the night curled up on a very less than luxurious hospital chair, with nurses and the smelly, moaning car accident patient sharing our room often punctuating my fitful sleep with their unwelcome interruptions, I realized how little else is important if you don't have your health and the people you love. I got a little taste of what my mom and Edd went through day after day after week after week, with countless emergencies and hospital stays and nightmares turning into reality on a painfully regular basis. I looked over at my big, strong husband, who always does the hard things for me, but who now couldn't even make it in and out of bed without my help, and I felt so thankful that there was an end to this in sight... that he would get better and go home and our life would go back to normal and we might even love each other more for all of it.  Not everyone has that ending to look forward to, and I am thankful this week for life and the people like doctors who protect it for us. You never fully appreciate the absolute pleasure in little things like sinking into your own bed at night and eating fresh (non-hospital or snack machine) food or just having a healthy, independent spouse - until those things are taken away or threatened. Then you realize how making your own bed, washing your own sheets, tidying your own home, and trips to the grocery store are an absolute privilege. Silly arguments and fights over inconsequential things are luxuries awarded only to those with who can afford them. You realize how blessed you are.

Also, Matthew was the sweetest ever when he first woke up from his anesthesia. I wrote down all the sweet/weird/funny things he said within the first couple hours after surgery. I'll never let him forget these...

+ I love you so much. You're the love of my life.
+ I want a sesame bagel.
+ I want some peppermint ice cream.
+ I want to go to the ranch.
+ You're a great wife.
+ I miss my dogs.
+ I'm glad I didn't wake up with boobs.
+ You're so pretty. I love your smile and your little parentheses.
+ Where's Gracie?
+ I want a bow. (bow and arrow set) I should get a bow for all of this.
+ You're my everything.
+ I feel like I'm giving birth
+ You're so beautiful.
+ Oh my gosh, you know what sounds so good? A tall, ice cold cranberry Jamba juice.
+ This is ridiculous.
+ Jenni: I have one more organ than you!
   Matthew: I have one more tooth than you.
   Jenni: Touche.
+ I'm so happy I'm married to you. I wouldn't trade you for anybody.

Nevermind that we both got suuuuper grumpy after about a day in the hospital. I will choose to remember the good stuff. :)

Hope you all have safe travels wherever you may be going for the holiday this week. I'm sure blog reading will be slowing down, so if this is the last time you tune in for a while, I wish you and your family a very, very happy Thanksgiving. Much love to you and yours from me and mine...






No comments:

Post a Comment