Monday 12 March 2012

Thoughts on Texas Style Council (part 1)

TxSC 2012 071-1
Good Monday morning everyone!  I’m tired and slightly puffy-eyed this morning after a long weekend of  Texas Style Council festivities!  For those of you who aren’t familiar, TxSC is an exciting Blogger conference held right here in Austin and organized by Indiana and Elissa, two fabulous ladies I had the pleasure of meeting over the past couple of days! 
I knew I’d be slightly out of my element this weekend since my blog isn’t fashion based, but I signed up for the conference hoping to learn and network and just have a fun weekend with ladies who understand my passion for blogging.  Luckily, expectations were met, and it was a fabulous, albeit exhausting time.  I have to laugh at myself, because my major in college was Communication, social interaction concentration, and yet I find in-person social interaction to be emotionally draining and exhausting… I’d probably be OK with sleeping the entire rest of this week! But that’s the funny and awesome thing about bloggers—I think many (if not most) of us are more comfortable behind the computer screen, which is why we’re carving out a space for ourselves online! 
However, I refuse to accept my slightly anti-social tendencies, and I thought a conference like this would be a great way to get out of my comfort zone (which typically involves stretchy pants, my lambie blanket, and some degree of smelling like a dog).
It’s funny the insecurities these types of conferences can bring out in even the best of us though, isn’t it?  Everyone looked SO gorgeous and stylish this weekend, and yet I had a feeling 90% of the ladies who attended were probably nervous as hell and just hoping they measured up.  I had what I tried to consider the advantage of having nothing to prove since my blog falls very much more into the lifestyle category, but it was still a bit intimidating. I ADORE clothes and fashion, but dressing myself in a unique and fashion conscious way has never come naturally for me.  It’s something I really want to have a better handle of, and I hope that, one day, readers who comb through past outfit posts on this blog will be able to see a visible progression in my personal style.  It’s a work in progress, y’all.  If you only knew how awkward I once was and how far I’ve actually come.  If you only knew.  Do you remember this fugly picture?  Yeah.  Enough said. 
So anyway, Texas Style Council was a great experience overall, and I’ll be recapping a bit more over the next few days.  I have tons of fabulous pictures to pick through now, so please excuse me while I go do just that.  Check back soon for more fun pictures from the weekend and notes I took during yesterday’s panels (including wise words from ladies like Kendi and Camille!).
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment