Friday 3 May 2013

Things that make me uncomfortable


Day 3 of the the Challenge is "things that make you uncomfortable." We all have our things.  While preparing for this post, I realized that not a lot of things make me uncomfortable, but most things that DO are bathroom-related. You can use your imagination there. Basically, anything that involves public restrooms or using a restroom at someone's house makes me extremely uncomfortable. True story: when I was in middle school I used to turn on every faucet in the girl's locker room bathroom before I peed, because I didn't want anyone to actually hear me peeing. I'm glad to say I've mostly gotten past this hiccup, but everything to do with bathrooms that aren't in my own home and preferably tucked away in a distant corner of the house makes me uncomfortable.  TMI? Sorry!

I would say the other top-most uncomfortable thing for me is watching a movie with sex scenes with your parents. Wait, that sounded wrong! Not actually watching your parents performing in the sex scenes. Just watching the sex scenes with your parents in the same room.

Another true story: Matthew and I often go down to my in-laws' (his parents') ranch on weekends, and while there we sometimes drive into town to see a movie. One time we decided to see "The American" with George Clooney, not knowing what it was about going in, and gosh, the first half hour was full of really explicit stuff (like, full frontal female nudity!), and I literally wanted to die. I wanted to actually die. And at one point I could no longer handle it, and the uncomfortableness welled up inside me in such a manner that I had to get up and just bolt out of there, mumbling something along the lines of "I can't take this! I have to leave, it's too awkward!" Luckily we all thought the movie was horribly boring anyway, and everyone agreed on leaving. But GOSH. SO UNCOMFORTABLE.

Lastly, talking on the phone, oddly enough. It's not so much that it makes me truly uncomfortable, but it does turn me into this strange, anxiety-ridden version of myself that I hardly recognize. If I have to talk to someone on the phone, especially a stranger (a doctor's office, a credit card company, a plumber, etc), I will first put it off as long as humanly possible. If it's an incoming call, I'll probably screen it and be like "well crap, I guess I'll have to call them back... in four months." Once I finally do wind up on the phone with someone, I pace around like a neurotic little gerbil in a cage. I cannot stop moving. It would be interesting to have a hidden camera in my home, to study the phone-pacing. It's just not a relaxing experience for me. When I get off the call, it's like a boulder has been lifted off my shoulders and I need a nap. Very strange, I know. So if you want to get ahold of me, texting or email is probably the way to go if you want to spare me this discomfort (unless you're my mom, husband, or a very close friend... then you're exempt and you probably don't make me uncomfortable). 

That's it for now. Tell us, what makes YOU most uncomfortable?! Linkup beneath today's featured SOML sponsors (which are exceptionally fabulous today!). Happy Friday...

* * * * *

Penny Pincher Fashion is an absolutely lovely blog by an absolutely lovely lady named Kimberly. Kimberly is a stay-at-home mom and blogger in upstate New York, and the premise of her blog is what you might suspect based on the name - fashion on a budget! You'll first notice how stunningly beautiful Kimberly is, but besides that, she's a PRO at putting together absolutely perfect outfits that are perfectly affordable, as well. She is such an inspiration! Here's one of my recent favorite outfits she's styled. This is one blogger you need to meet.



* * * * *

Jordyn is the brains behind The Fairy Princess Diaries, a blog I'm sure you'll agree is witty, adorable, and completely fantastic. This is the first post of Jordyn's I read, and I was sold. Hook, Line, and Sinker. Especially since Boo and my Gracie could be twins, in more ways than one! Please go do yourself a favor (RIGHT THIS MINUTE!) and go read a little more about her here. This girl's personality absolutely shines, and you will fall in love a little more with every Fairy Princess Diary post you read. Jordyn, can we BFFs?! Great, thanks.



* * * * *

Last but not least is my dearer than dear friend Casey of We Took The Road Less Traveled, a blog that chronicles her absolutely enchanting life overseas with her military husband. These two are world class travelers and I absolutely love to follow their adventures. Casey's beautiful, smiling face and bubbly personality is the icing on the cake! She's one of those bloggers whom you'd recognize a comment from, even if she didn't leave her name, you know? She is just a light. Get to know her better right over here, and go explore the world with Casey!


Blog | Facebook | Twitter

* * * * *

***In the "Name" box of the linkup you have 50 characters, and I encourage you to write the name of your post, your blog, or something extra instead of just your actual name - that will make things more interesting and eye-catching on this list! :)

2 comments: