Saturday 4 May 2013

Turn on the light

Day 4 of Blog Every Day In May was meant to be an easy day, a no brainer, if you will, but it turns out there are A LOT of amazing quotes out there, and I started to get overwhelmed by them when I was deciding on which to use. I should go with something really profound! I said to myself. Something that people probably haven't heard before and will make them go WOAH. That's deep, dude. And then I could talk about it and sound really smart and stuff.  But it turns out that a) It's Friday night and I'm really hungry and looking forward to a glass of wine and time with my husband and the homemade spaghetti and meatballs my mom made for dinner (this "living with mom" stuff is turning out to be splendid, splendid indeed), and b) it also seemed strange to use any quote but one from my beloved Harry Potter. Now that is a no-brainer. So then I found this Tumblr page and was reminded why I love those books so terribly much and how much they have impacted my life, and before I knew it, I was blubbering at my little desk by the corner windows, wishing I could read Harry Potter for the first time all over again, because that was really one of my favorite experiences of life so far, not even kidding. For any new readers just joining us here on SOML, yes, I am an adult woman and I am still obsessed with Harry Potter. They are beautiful, imaginative books that apply to anyone's life, anywhere.

So without further ado, I give you just one of my many favorite lines from Harry Potter...

*no clue where this graphic came from - found it on the black hole of Tumblr

Why do I love it? Because it's so basic and so true, but also something we forget so easily. It's easy to get caught up in negativity, the horror that does exist in this world, the "woe is me's" and the temptation to take ourselves too damn seriously. And some things should be taken seriously, of course, but I think it's really important to remember that light is just one switch away (or one flick of the wand, if you will), and though that switch may be different for everyone, it exists and we simply have to find out what that means for us. Don't stay in a place of negativity or darkness, because why exist in the dark when you can exist in the light? It seems to me that most often that has to do with one or all of three things: your attitude, what you fill your time with, and who you surround yourself with.

That's what this quote means to me. Share your favorites in the linkup below, and have a great Saturday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment